If you have a workplace injury, you may not easily understand what to do next. This situation can be quite confusing and distressing for you. The physical injury may hamper your thinking capabilities and you may not be able to make the right decisions. Along with this, you must also keep in mind that the HR of your company is responsible for ensuring the safety of the workers. However, accidents are bound to happen and they may occur even if you take all the precautions. However, in case of a workplace injury, below mentioned are some of the steps that you can take as suggested by a Richmond work injury lawyer:
- See a doctor immediately: If you have been injured badly, seek first aid treatment instantaneously and go for proper treatment at the nearest medical facility. In such situations, health should be given the first priority and once you are stable, other things can be taken care of afterward.
- Inform your employer: As soon as you have been injured at the workplace, you or someone near you must inform the supervisor or the HR of the company immediately. This is important because your employer must have knowledge regarding the accident so that he may help you when you file for workers’ compensation claims.
- Inform your colleagues: If you are in an isolated area where the injury took place, kindly inform the nearest possible help and do not try to solve the matter on your own. It is important that you gather witnesses who will be helpful at the time of filing claims.
- Collect evidence: You can record a video and even take photographs of the accident site, people present there, and the possible cause of the accident. This information will act as proof for various agencies and even for your employer.
- Keep track of your personal financial loss: This record will be useful to seek reimbursement for your loss and even when you set out to file a workers’ compensation claim.
- Be in possession of appropriate documents: You can ask your employer for various relevant documents such as legal documents required to file workers’ compensation claims.
However, you must also understand that each and every workplace injury case is different and unique, and therefore, laws and procedures related to it may vary depending on the location and the circumstances of the accident. Hence, you should seek professional legal help to protect your rights and to ensure that the appropriate course of action is initiated on time.